5 Things You Should Do While at Your Internship
Having AT LEAST one internship while you are in college is VERY important. When you graduate, employers want to know that you have some hands on experience in what they are about to hire you for.
No matter where you are interning at, and what your internship job description includes, it is important to make sure that you get the most out of the experience. Here are a few tips:
1. Contribute. Always look for ways to contribute while you are "on the job." It shows that you are paying attention and new fresh ideas that the company can use. This tip is also important if your internship could potentially be your future employer. Contributing shows that you are not "dead weight."
2. Learn. Observe everything and everyone around you. What is the office culture like? Look at employees in top positions. How did they get there? Don't be afraid to ask for help with your tasks. Ask for helpful tips about your work as well as career tips. Not only are you there to work, but you are there to learn.
3. Build Relationships. Even if you don't want to work with that specific company, build relationships with your employer and fellow employees. As we've all heard before: "It's not always what you know, but who you know." Someone in that office could know someone at a company that you are interested in. Make sure you keep in contact with everyone at your internship even after you leave. No one likes to only hear from a person when they need something.
4. Volunteer extra time. Someone need help with a task or job? Stay after to help them or maybe even just to shadow them. This shows your employer that you are willing to go the extra mile to get the job done, and that you are passionate about what you do. You may not get paid over-time, but it just might pay off in the long run.
5. . Never stop feeling like it's your first day at work. You know that feeling? When you step into the office for the first time. You're looking your best, focused and ready to put your best foot forward. And although you may be a tad bit nervous, you are confident because YOU are the one who got the position. YEAH! That feeling. Don't lose that. Walk into your office everyday looking your best, focused, and ready to be GREAT!