Cooking With The Queen: White Chicken Lasagna Soup
DISCLAIMER: The recipe is not my original recipe. To find the original, click here. All pictures are my own.
I've recently been on a soup kick since the return of the cold weather. I've never been a huge soup fanatic (although I am OBSESSED with Panera's broccoli cheddar soup!)
My recent soup kick has even resulted in my forming of a brand new Pinterest board filled with soups and recipes full of fall flavored meals. This is recipe is one that I came across. I'm here for all things cheesy so this soup is right up my alley! And a huge bonus: it's super easy to make. I mostly followed the recipe, although I used slight less chicken broth than what is listed. I also added way more cheese. Like. WAY more. Once the soup was finished cooking, I added a TON of finely shredded parmesan cheese, and half a handful of shredded mozzarella/Romano cheese.
If you try this recipe, I'd love to hear out it turned out for you! And share for your favorite fall recipes with me!
One Pot White Chicken Lasagna Soup
- 1pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- 3tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4-6cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3cup flour
- 9-11cups low sodium chicken broth, divided
- 3tablespoons cornstarch
- 15oz can canneli beans, rinsed and rained
- 1tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 1tsp EACH dried parsley, dried basil
- 1/2tsp EACH dried oregano, dried thyme, salt, pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- dash- 1/4teaspoon red pepper flakes(optional)
- 10 uncooked lasagna noodles, broken into approx. 1-2 inch pieces*
- 2-3cups half and half
- 1/2cup heavy cream(optional)
- 10oz chopped frozen baby spinach, thawed
- 1cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ricotta cheese
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large Dutch oven/soup pot over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook until almost cooked through. Remove to a plate.
Melt butter with 2 tablespoons olive oil in the now empty pot and heat over medium high heat. Add onions and carrots and cook, while stirring, for 3 minutes. Add bell pepper and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle in flour then cook, stirring constantly for 3 minutes (it will be thick).
Turn heat to low and gradually stir in 8 cups chicken broth. Whisk 3 tablespoons cornstarch with 1 cup additional chicken broth and add to soup. Stir in chicken, beans, chicken bouillon and all remaining herbs and spices. Stir in lasagna noodles.
Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer until lasagna noodles are tender, stirring occasionally so noodles don’t stick to bottom (approximately 20-30 minutes).
Turn heat to low, discard bay leaf and stir in half and half, optional heavy cream and spinach and warm through. Stir in 1 cup Parmesan cheese until melted. Stir in additional half and half or broth if desired for a less “chunky” soup. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Garnish individual servings with desired amount of cheeses.